Breastmilk is a dynamic whole food that changes with the needs of the infant as they grow. It contains essential vitamins, nutrients and antibodies, including essential fatty acids important for brain development. Unfortunately, there is nothing on the market that is comparable and scientists are not able to completely replicate the qualities found in breastmilk. Other benefits to breastfeeding include:
- Protection against infection for your infant
- Lower rates of childhood diseases such as eczema, asthma, and ear infections
- Adult teeth may develop straighter
- Reduction in breast cancer risk for mother
- Increases metabolism to lose pregnancy weight faster.
However, if you cannot breastfeed or choose not to, you are not harming your baby.