This recipe is a must try if you're a fan of beef jerky!
Prep time: 20 minutes + freezing and marinating
Cook time: 8 hours
1 ½ lbs flank steak
¼ cup coconut aminos
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
2 tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. turmeric
¼ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. dried oregano
1 pinch sea salt
1. Place the meat in the freezer long enough for it start to harden a little but not long enough that it freezes (about 35-45 minutes). This will make the meat easier to slice.
2. Remove meat from freezer and turn it on its side length-wise and cut against the grain in slices.
3. Place the sliced meat into a bowl and set aside.
4. Add the seasoning ingredients to a small pot, bring to a quick boil and stir.
5. Pour the seasoning over the meat and toss thoroughly. You can choose to let this sit overnight in the refrigerator and marinade, or bake it right away.
6. Set your oven to the lowest possible temperature setting, usually 150F.
7. Place the meat on metal racks or baking sheets (racks are preferable) and place those racks onto the racks in the oven.
8. Place an additional baking sheet at the very bottom of the oven to catch any drippings from the jerky.
9. Bake for 6-8 hours. The meat is done when it is a dark brown colour, bends and cracks, but does not snap.
10. Allow to cool and then store it in an airtight container.
Sign up to receive bi-weekly updates about nutrition, health and wellness for you and your family here. As a free gift Michal will send you her eBook 10 Step Guide to Ultimate Wellness.